Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Reading, reading, reading

Well, I haven't had a chance to get much writing done this trip, but I've been reading a whole heck of a lot.

5 books so far.

Liar, by Justine Larbalestier ...loved it... wasn't expecting werewolves... if I knew ahead of time, I probably wouldn't have bought the book and then I would have missed out. Great example of an unreliable narrator.

Liesel & Po, by Lauren Oliver ...I loved this writer's first book (would probably go into my top ten of all time) but had to really push myself to get through her second. This one sounded so unlike the first two that I just had to give it a try. Very cute.

Light Beneath Ferns, by Anne Spollen ...I went into this book really not knowing what to expect, but was taken by the atmosphere of the tale. I will probably end up buying her first book, 'Shape of Water'. the *feel* of her writing seems familiar to me somehow... and since I've been reading voraciously since I was a little kid, I'm sure of of these days it's going to hit me which author I am being reminded of. This will probably sound completely un-helpful, but the writing feels like still water.

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms & The Broken Kingdoms, by NK Jemisin ...I'm going to read the third book in this trilogy before I read anything else. It's an interesting series and I could tell immediately why that writing buddy of mine told me it reminded her of my own Project #1.Well, perhaps more the second and third books of that ongoing (long-suffering) project. For those who have read Jemisin's books, what feels similar are the non-god-like-gods, their origin story/relationships, as well as the rampant racism and arrogance of certain *peoples* within the world. Mine takes place in a school though. I'm curious to see how the series ends, but I am not going to start the last book until I'm on the plane (or in the airport) tomorrow night for my Toronto -> Seattle flight.

...but now... I'm going to sit my butt down, turn off the wi-fi and try to get some writing done :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Type me out a line of Shakespeare or a line of nonsense. Dumb-blonde-jokes & Irish jokes will make me laugh myself silly :)