Monday, February 13, 2012

A quick homage

Since I'm painting this week (I'm in Chilliwack today actually!) I thought I'd post a few pictures of my grandmother's work, 'cause I know I'm going to be thinking of her a lot this week while I re-learn the basics.

Oh, and I just realized I'm gone over Valentines Day... sorry, hubby! I swear it isn't 'cause I don't love you ;)

 My grandmother didn't only paint porcelain. This is my favourite oil painting of hers. It's hard to tell from the photograph, but there are layers of texture in the darkness. I think the canvas is around 3' x 2'.
 This is (obviously) a porcelain plate. I like this one because it isn't the usual soft, traditional style. It's bold and brightly coloured, which appeals to my own personal aesthetics. This particular piece was probably fired at least four times, but it could be as many as seven or eight.
 This portrait is painted on just a normal tile you could get at home Depot. She painted a number of children in traditional dress from different cultures. She loved to travel as much as she loved to paint.
This picture needs a bit of explanation. You can see the three pieces in the foreground (there is raised enamel on them as well as they are all trimmed in 24 carat gold on the handles, lip and the frames around the pictures), but there is also a portrait on the wall behind them... AND they are actually placed on a large glass case which holds four carolling dolls (which unfortunately I don't have a picture for). There's a switch on the wall your flip and music comes on, lights come on, and a couple of the dolls lift/lower small candles. The largest doll stands at nearly 3' tall and all the clothes were also hand made.

Okay! On Wednesday you get the next scene of Project #5!

4 comments:

  1. Her portraits say much about the emotion of the subject. One could stare at them for hours and they would probably speak and tell their story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful work... thank you for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope your painting's going well, and these pieces are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Type me out a line of Shakespeare or a line of nonsense. Dumb-blonde-jokes & Irish jokes will make me laugh myself silly :)