Saturday, February 25, 2012

I've been tagged


...by Catherine Stine.

Thankfully there's no hits, burns, push-ups or noogies.

What is there instead?

The Tag rules:

You must post the rules.
Answer the questions and then create eleven new questions to ask the people you’ve tagged.
Tag 11 people and link to them.
Let them know you’ve tagged them.


Catherine's Questions:

1. What was your favorite novel you read in 2011?
That's a hard one. I read... 60+ books last year on my Kindle and a ton of *real* books as well. Hmmm. I'm going to choose 'Plain Kate', by Erin Bow or 'the Night Circus', by Erin Morgenstern

2. Your favorite all-time book? (Can be any genre or age level)
Wow, okay, that's even harder. After staring at my bookshelves for 17 minutes, I can't choose one. I'll come back to this. Alright. I shuffled my five favourite books with my eyes closed and picked one. 'The Solitaire Mystery', by Jostein Gaarder is the winner.

3. What book character would you like to party with?
Depends on the kind of party :) I choose the Golux from 'The Thirteen Clocks', by James Thurber. We'd have some wacky times...

4. Do you ever watch TV to study plot format? If so, which show?
Not really. I like watching them for facial expressions, body language, the music/soundtrack, and other strange things. Or simply 'cause a character makes me laugh or I like the sounds of an actor's voice :) I tend to not overanalyze when I'm watching/reading for entertainment, but I think about them later and draw out bits and pieces of useful information.

5. Where was the strangest source you ever got a plot idea from?
A sentence that a drunk girl once spoke at a party. Okay, that isn't strange in itself... but I kinda twisted it into something else and then it exploded into a hurricane of converging ideas.

6. Funniest character in a novel? Why?
The gun in 'Red Robe', by Jon Courtnay Grimwood. 'Cause a talking, sentient gun who swears is damn funny :)

7. Which actor/actress would you want to play the lead in your novel?
Let me get back to you when I figure out if my character is male or female...

Just kidding. Sorry, I really can't answer this question.

Honestly, maybe it's because I grew up in an extremely multi-cultural city, but I don't like how stereo-types come out due to descriptions. I'd rather my characters be imagined as whatever race the reader wants them to be. I may picture a character as Indian or Korean in my head, but I think it's more important to show characters as real people rather than wrapping them in an exterior layer which categorizes them.

But I can say, in all the stories listed on my site that I'm working on... only 3 of the main/secondary characters are clearly 'caucasian', and 2 of those are in Project #1, which has a really large/varied cast. Usually I don't put in much visual description, except when it's important to the plot, like Faith's appearance in Project #2.

So, if I can't even pin down a particular race, there's no way I could possibly decide on a specific 'face'.

8. Most sympathetic fictional villain?
Dracula. I love that through the entire book, no character ever tries to sympathies/reason with him. They simply label him as a monster (which I'm not arguing, he is, and that's awesome), but at the time when Dracula was written, they still judged people from other cultures as monsters and sought to destroy them with the same level of dedicated arrogance. Whenever a story (historic or fictional) is shown from a completely one-sided view... I always get deadly curious about what the other side would say. I've always been a bit of a devils-advocate.

9. Do you prefer fantasy, sci-fi, realistic fiction or a blend. Why?
To read, realistic fiction for sure, often with a touch of oddness thrown in. Magical realism, I think that's what it's called... To write? Probably the same, but more fantastical. I'm not really into magic, but I like strange, unexplainable situations and I love creating cultures/etc. But I like realistic, broken characters.

10. What place and time would most inspire you to write an historical fiction?
I'd love to write a historical fiction about a part of the world where that hasn't ever been done. Like the Philippines, Borneo, Iceland, Madagascar or somewhere. Anywhere non-Western-centric with a heap of their own unique myths/etc.

11. Finish this YA dialog line: “I’ve never told a friend this before, but…”
"...seriously, that dress really makes your ass look fat."

And thanks for this award, too!



So now I have to tag 11 people! ...and I'll pass on the award, too. 

I've never actually done this before, so I ask your forgiveness in advance :)

I'm going to use my amazing powers of deduction (ok, my amazing powers of laziness, hey, this is the weekend) and tag my 11 newest followers who have not already been tagged and who have linked websites on their profiles:


Angie, Lydia Kang & Green Monkey all get bonus points for having dyslexic friendly websites! (no word verification) THANKS! I love you guys for not giving me a migraine when I'm trying to comment on your posts ;)


Now for the questions:

1. What's your favourite letter of the alphabet and why? (you're not limited to the English alphabet)

2. What's the most disgusting/odd combination of food you've ever eaten?

3. Favourite word?

4. If you had to get a tattoo, what would it be and why? If you already have one, use that as your answer.

5. What fictional character is most like you and why? Could be personality or appearance, from a book, movie, graphic novel, whatever.

6. The bitchy blonde female character -> love? hate? overdone? (bonus points for including your favourite blonde joke)

7. Do you usually write characters who are the same gender as you are? Ever tried the opposite?

8. If you could swap places with a character and live in their fictional world/universe for a day, which would you choose?

9. What's your favourite fairy-tale/myth/folk-tale/fable/nursery-rhyme, and would you ever write a re-telling of it?

10. If you could turn your significant other into an animal for one day, what animal would you choose and why?

11. Does Pluto deserve to be re-instated as a planet?


EDIT: If anyone else wants to play/answer the questions, go ahead! Just include the link, or answer directly in the comment section :)

17 comments:

  1. I typically don't like the "tag" games but I LOVE your questions, so I'm playing!!! And yes, I turned off that word verification thing. It drives me MAD!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, I've never really the tag thing before, so I wasn't sure if my questions were too strange. Let me know when you post the answers 'cause I wanna check them out ;)

      Delete
    2. Yeah! I will repost yours and Catherine's. I also LOVE your questions. I also love our daughter's Duchess beagle who now lives with us. (He is out back digging a hole to China at the moment) Sweet guy.

      And, being practically blog illiterate, I didn't even know you could turn off those word-verify buggers. LOL.

      Here's my link for my answers: http://shemadeitallup.blogspot.com/

      Delete
    3. He's one year old.
      Beagle backpack-Ha! That does sound like a good idea that I could try. He might not pull my arm out of socket that way. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for tagging me! Your answers were very entertaining and eye-opening. I only became more sympathetic towards the villains since I started writing. Now Dracula seems far less sinister because I know there's a story there!

    Oh, and you're welcome on the word verification thingy. That drives me mad, too. And I don't have nearly as good a reason as you do. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, re-reading 'Dracula' is like reading anthropological journals written 100+ years ago. It's the reason the story always fascinated me.

      I have a set of books called, "Mythology of All Races", published in the early 1900's, each chapter on a particular race/culture is written by professors from Harvard, Oxford, etc... and they are some of the most racist things I've ever read.

      I was re-reading volume 10 for info on the Inuit (for Project #5) and was pretty stunned how the author was so... bold at outright claiming that Eskimos "...are savages, easily cheered when food is plenty, and when disheartened oppressed rather by blind helplessness than by any sense of ignorance or any depth of thought." And their stories "reflect the intimate habits of a people whose every member is a butcher ... these replace the tenderer images suggested to the minds of people who dwell in flowered and verdurad lands."

      Reading lines like these really make me think about what we know now, and how much of it is based on arrogance and ignorance.

      It's also excellent fodder for writing ;)

      Delete
  3. So, you still don't know the sex then? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's 90% of the reason why writing this character is so much fun :)

      Delete
  4. It is not possible to pck a fav book of all time. Period. Oddly the only TV show I can get plot formats from is 1 ½ men. Love your answer to the actor question. And by the way you deserve every award you get Love your questions!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it took me a while just to get my favourites down to five :)

      Thanks, Sue :)

      Delete
  5. that last one made me lol. And I'd love to see Dracula's side of the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...although I'd probably say that in real life... more tactfully, of course ;)

      Delete
  6. I like non-western places too, for historical fiction. I'll have to check out Night Circus and Solitaire Mystery! Your fil in the dialog made me laugh. And another Monkey blogger-Green Monkey, do tell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I was super happy there's more than one primate lurking out there ;)

      You had some great questions!

      Delete
  7. Congrats on the tag! Love that you want to travel outside the western-centric circle of life. I'm all over that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love learning about places I'm not familiar with, especially local customs/beliefs/art/etc. The world is so wide and so varied, it seems a shame to live in one place, within one culture, my entire life :)

      Delete
  8. Yes!if you in a different places you learn a lot of their culture and its so exciting!

    ReplyDelete

Type me out a line of Shakespeare or a line of nonsense. Dumb-blonde-jokes & Irish jokes will make me laugh myself silly :)