Monday, June 10, 2013

Project #6 progress

Well, I'm less than 200 words away from hitting 10,000 on Project #6, mostly due to writing Donny dialogue/interactions, which are mostly just random snippets of scenes which may, or may not, ever end up in the story.

Donny stirs things up. Intentionally. It makes for some interesting dialogue, sharper and wittier than anything I've posted/written in the past. Some of his lines are also sure to annoy/infuriate some readers, which is why I'm not going to post any of them on my blog. His *voice* is pretty, uhm, abrasive, I guess.

I've also figured out his obsession, which makes things easier, especially the dialogue, because now there's a consistent, driving force behind every line.

Donny is the link between Jay (selfish, egoistical, self-absorbed) and Kell (closed off/introverted/uninterested in other people/things). He's the reason Jay stops looking only at Kell's surface and starts looking (and painting) deeper.

He's a necessary evil that's deliciously entertaining to write.

It is fun to stretch and experiment with new kinds of characters :)

Still haven't nailed down character backgrounds, etc, and the only one I have a really clear physical picture of is Kell, but almost nothing about her inner character :) Probably because she really hasn't had a lot of page-time yet ;) I'm sure she'll reveal herself bit by bit ;)


I also wrote a new blurb draft (not a finalized version by any means) that's up on my 'What I'm Writing' page, but there's no new title yet to replace the sarcastic/lame temp-title :P


What about everyone else? How are your projects going? Planning/writing/revising/querying?


If you haven't already, scroll back to the Flash Fiction posts and go visit the other brave souls who played along, or come back and add your own.

6 comments:

  1. That's so great! I'm glad you've had some breakthroughs. I'm about to do some revisions on my contemporary, hoping to be done with those by the end of the month. Good luck to the both of us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh! work hard! I hope you hit your deadline with everything going on :)

      Delete
  2. Yay for progress! I'm currently looking into the enneagram charts to understand my character's motivations better. Hopefully that will kick me into writing again.

    Also, we are going to have some photo prompts for flash fiction later (like tonight) over at Unicorn Bell today for practice the rest of the week. We've been talking about how practicing short stories can help our novels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly can improve your ability to make every word count. Personally, I write more character sketches than flash fiction, but try to hint at background/plot at least a little bit :)

      Delete
  3. You're doing awesome.
    I released a novella, Atone, today.
    I'm querying another story.
    Working to finish the sequel to Neverlove for release in October.
    So I got a few sticks working the fires right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CONGRATULATIONS!!! Wow, you are one busy lady! I feel like such a slacker compared to you!

      ...you don't have a few sticks, you have a bonfire!

      Delete

Type me out a line of Shakespeare or a line of nonsense. Dumb-blonde-jokes & Irish jokes will make me laugh myself silly :)