Thursday, June 6, 2013

'Getting' Donovan

Fair warning, this will be a short post as I'm typing it on my phone (no wi-fi at the cabin), and it'll probably be full of auto-correct blunders, so have patience :)

I don't know how it is for writers who plan out everything in advance, but as a pantser, things come like a bolt from the blue (where DOES that odd saying come from?)

I literally was mid-sentence, when I 'got' Donovan. I was fixing a line of his dialogue, thinking about Jay's reaction, and at the same time, pondering why Jay is pissed, but Kell doesn't care, even though she's the one being insulted.

...and suddenly I don't think the guy is so bad anymore.

I only have one older sister, no brothers, but I grew up next to a family with seven kids (yes, that is not a mistake: 7). Boys play differently, they think differently, they insult differently, they make up after a fight differently.

Donovan may be childish, stupid, and annoying, but there isn't malice in what he says.

Like, a friend of mine taught me how to make fun of myself in Cantonese by saying, 'the white devil is hungry', which, if you must know, was excellent for getting good service in many Chinese restaurants, as everyone always appreciates a sense of humor, and they tend to remember you if/when you go back, which usually means fast service, good table, and often dessert (or dry crab!) on the house ;)

Going back to the notion of fair play, racism, bigotry, etc. even if you say something as a joke, someone else will take offense. I can make fun of myself by telling blonde and Irish jokes, but I've been snarled at by other females who don't like it, even when I'm the butt of my own joke. For some, it's more important to follow the outer example of being 'politically correct', but they do it at the expense of castrating anyone's ability to take the lighter path.

Heck, I made a lot of friends being able to call myself a 'white devil', and that friendship was more true, and had more depth, than if I had been too concerned about 'political correctness' to say anything in the first place.

So... I guess Donovan isn't going to be as difficult to write as I originally suspected... But perhaps that's because my immediate reaction to him WAS to take offence, rather than look for the joke underneath.

Okay, going blind typing on my phone, but I would love to hear your thoughts...



EDIT: okay, now that I've got him, Donny is ridiculously easy to write. I just spilled over a thousand words in less than half an hour.

6 comments:

  1. Jokes are only funny if taken within context. If not, then they're probably going to be offensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, but the audience also has to have a sense of humour

      Delete
  2. I went to the library to work, and my laptop wouldn’t turn on. If it’s not one thing it’s another. I have no idea where sayings come from. But I agree about plotting. 1000 words in half an hour? I did 500 words in about that time I think and they’re not sentences just ideas for an outtake to my story. Jeeze girl you’re good (and don’t be insulted cause I called you girl lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i would never be insulted by you calling me 'girl' :)

      ...actually, I have to laugh at how many times I still get carded buying alcohol...

      Delete
  3. I have a character in my MS that sounds a bit like Donovan. And I know what you mean by that 'aha' getting your character moment! Love those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? That's cool! I can't really think, off the top of my head, about many YA books that have characters like that...

      Delete

Type me out a line of Shakespeare or a line of nonsense. Dumb-blonde-jokes & Irish jokes will make me laugh myself silly :)