Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

I hail from the clan Kavanagh (Caomhánach) on my mother's side*.

Clann Caomhánach - coat of arms

The lion represents courage and protection, the sickles represent abundance, hence the motto: Peace & Plenty.

I'm going to celebrate by going out for dinner with my family tonight, so I'll leave you with an Irish Blessing that I quite like:


May you have the hindsight to know where you've been
the foresight to know where you're going
and the insight to know when you're going too far.



* There's also some question about whether Colquhoun, also on my mother's side, is purely Scottish or whether they originally came from Ireland (some sources say it came from Conachon).  I can't seem to find the coat of arms I'm familiar with online, but it's blue & red with a hart (stag) on it. If I find it, I'll update this post.

And their motto is "Si je puis" which means "If I can".

2 comments:

  1. I like two:

    May God grant you many years to live
    For sure He must be knowing
    The earth has angels all too few
    And Heaven is overflowing

    and:

    The church is near,
    but the roads are icy.
    The tavern is far,
    But I will walk carefully.

    (The latter I thought was Irish but it turns out is Ukrainian according to a file of quotes I have)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, yep, I can see why you like both of those :)

    Humour = awesome :)

    ReplyDelete

Type me out a line of Shakespeare or a line of nonsense. Dumb-blonde-jokes & Irish jokes will make me laugh myself silly :)