Friday, June 7, 2013

Flash Fiction Friday 2.0

Last Friday I started up a new thing, and I was very happy when a few people humoured me and played along :)

Hopefully you'll play again...? And maybe someone else will be brave too?

Here's the quick run-down:

I give you a line, you use it as is, or edit it, or make up your own, and sometime during this weekend, set aside a few minutes to write a flash fiction piece and post it in the comments, or post a link to your blog.

This is just supposed to be a fun thing to exercise the old creative muscles. You don't have to finish it, it can be little more than a character sketch, but just play around with something you normally wouldn't, either a POV, a genre, etc.

The only hard rule is, 500 words maximum.


I'll post my own later today, so come back, laugh (seriously, I have a horrible weakness for writing obscene run-on sentences in first-draft material), critique, comment, and/or post your own. I'd love to read some flash fiction :)


Now, ready for the line?

Here we go!


Even though the waiting room was empty, she sat right next to me.

5 comments:

  1. Hahah! It sounds like the opening line to a blog post I would write, complaining about lack of personal space in the city. (I whine all the time about people sitting next to me on a completely empty bus, or taking the treadmill right next to mine in an empty gym. GAH!) This sounds like an awesome prompt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, the study of human non-verbal language is fascinating, which is also why I love the artist Edward Hopper, who was very interested in personal space in cities versus rural areas, and how someone can feel lonely while being in a crowd. You should check out a few of his paintings... they're pretty awesome ;) 'Nighthawks' is his most famous, I believe.

      Delete
  2. And ... here we go, a very short story set in the Ghoulish series. Reminds me that I need to get working on the next novel in that ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh! This is AWESOME, Alcar!!! Thank you for writing it and posting a link!

      Delete
  3. Sue also wrote one, but didn't post a link, so here it is:

    http://sassyspeaks.wordpress.com/2013/06/11/trapped-for-blogophilia-16-6/

    ReplyDelete

Type me out a line of Shakespeare or a line of nonsense. Dumb-blonde-jokes & Irish jokes will make me laugh myself silly :)