Monday, June 15, 2015

Puzzle pieces & ideas

The stories I write are all a little weird. Okay, maybe a LOT weird.

Ever since I was a kid, I've been curious, always wanting to know how things work*. The result of this is hoards of random information crammed into the crooks of my brain. Sadly, details like how to tell if the slime coat on a freshwater fish is healthy or not has overwritten useful tidbits like... the basics of polite small talk. Or the 12x table. It's also embarrassing how many times I have to look up my own phone number/address/postal code**.

As an adult, it's a heck of a lot easier to feed this insatiable appetite for information (yeah internet!) and as a writer it's a lot easier to justify/rationalize when asked why I'm researching some obscure piece of information (see earlier paragraph on fresh water fish slime coats).

Because all these odd, unrelated bites of information hang around in my head like orphaned puzzle pieces, just waiting to be assembled into something amazing.


Documentaries are a significant jumping off point for me. I mostly watch ones on the natural world, animals, travel, archaeology, history, earthquakes, how the universe works, etc. These give me ideas, not only how existing or fantastical cultures might work, but also possible plot points, hobbies/interests/jobs for characters to obsess over, or spooky/scary/otherworldly things for characters to avoid. Yes, one day I WILL write a story that includes Pykrete. Or Ebu Gogo. Or Armenian brandy.

I also use Wiki a lot. Often I'll check something (like Pykrete) and follow the links until I'm on a different subject entirely. You never know when MSDS sheets for tattoo ink may be the perfect solution for a writing blockage/deadend. Wiki is a good place to start, but of course better/more detailed research is necessary.

People. I love talking to people, especially ones I don't know. I'm aways curious what their jobs are like, what their family/friends are like, etc, and especially what their hobbies/interests are. I have my own base of topics that I keep up to date on, but it's impossible to follow/know everything. Asking people to tell you about what they like is an amazing chance to hear the 'best of' something, to hear why someone likes that specific thing. It opens up so many new avenues to explore as possible writing/character ideas.

Like, I talked to a guy at the dog park the other day who is a ginormous Avengers fan. He's got every movie, binge-watched them all over 3 days before the latest movie came out. He's got comics, action figures, posters, etc. And hearing him talk about this with such passion, it makes me interested in going to see this movie, and maybe, maybe in the future, I'll want to write a character who is a passionate fan like this guy.

His passion sparked an interest in me, and isn't that the most important thing about characters/books?

Blog posts. Usually ones I have no background in, but they talk about really interesting ideas from an angle I never would have thought of before. Like this guy who writes on things like trust in 'things' versus trust in co-workers/people.

Reading. Yes, I do a lot of reading. I read everything from comic books to philosophy books to history books. I like books about art, culture, and mythology. I don't read as much as I'd like to, but again, I'll pick books up on topics that interest me and may ignite new ideas to play with. The only downside to reading books for information is the information can be out of date.

As for reading fiction, I seem to go through concentrated bursts of genre/etc. Sometimes I'll read 15 contemporary books in a row, sometimes it'll be a more diverse mix. Personally I love books translated from other languages. The voice of the author, how they put together words, what they choose to say, or not say, does survive the translation process. I find it fascinating how much you can pick up of another culture in how the stories are told.


For me, the more diverse the information, the more potential ideas can be generated. If all you do is read/research/etc within your narrow field of interest, you are limiting the reservoir of inspiration to pull from.



So, how about you guys? Do you have any favourite sources for generating ideas? I've heard many people use music as an inspiration, or movies, etc. How much non-fiction reading do you do, and do you prefer books or online sites?




* I electrocuted myself when I was 6 trying to dismantle an electrical outlet and have many, many scars from power tools, sharp objects, and am still surprised I have never poisoned myself.

...I also have not gotten any smarter. Two summers ago I hurt my knee trying to run on top of a fence, and just a couple months ago (if you follow me on twitter) I sortof-intentionally gave myself mild hypothermia by swimming in 14C lake water.

** Let's blame that one on the number of times I've moved in the past 12 years...

17 comments:

  1. It really is amazing how many sources there are for inspiration. I love music, or pictures, but most of my inspiration comes from the most random things or random moments. I've never been a non-fiction reader, but I'm thinking as I get older that it might be time to expand my horizons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to find at least a couple of books about whatever I'm doing, and use those as a springboard. Also there's some websites I like that curate the odd and weird so I browse them more often than I usually do during the planning phase, looking for things that jump out at me.
    Article on how city's don't need to return people's brains ater autopsy leading to pondering whether cloned body parts could be kept as well.
    Abstract of an article on how straight men's cognitive functioning can be impaired by being around attractive women (but not vice verse) making me consider idea how how one could weaponize that in odd ways.
    How the brain shrinks over the course of the day [fluids]; no uses for it so far.
    And an article on how birth month affects lifetime disease risk (yet to read) might make for a fun fun astrology-in-the-future part for the story....

    The books I'm reading are about physics in the next 100 years and the future of the mind. The latter has already inspired some ideas for interesting weapons harnessing aphasia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although it does no longer happen, you are safer because you did.the larger the premium you may manage to pay for, the better your health care policy insurance. that is going for all people in any respect. so it challenges you to venture your pocket. in case you realize you already be afflicted by a few terrible sickness, you could want the scientific interest more urgently Max Testo XL than you concept. you can not look forward to the crises to strike before you're taking out the health care policy.have to your coverage firm take into account you a extensive fitness threat, you may lose your hazard at a coverage with them. http://guidemesupplements.com/max-testo-xl/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Business opportunities and loads more. the seize in some of these is oz.free online is unfastened from day one, without a doubt no hidden Max Testo XL charges.maximize unfastened online classifieds at oz.free on line. all you want is to be a domain member, registration is unfastened. http://rockhardfacts.com/max-testo-xl/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cellulite lotion and cellulite cream can be a massive help, at the same time as ingesting masses of fluids will help in flushing out the pollution Power Testo Blast for your frame. workout and beginning a low fat food plan will make certain that the consequences from using commercial products will remaining for longer. http://rockhardfacts.com/power-testo-blast-scam/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omniscient courteous and sincere a narrator's job is to offer an audio landscape for a listener briefing them on historical past records posing Power Testo Blast questions and supplying answers as they guide their target audience through a software or documentary. narrators may be male or female and the most important elements. http://boostupmuscles.com/power-testo-blast/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Which can further decorate the recuperation technique in nearly all cases.for treating not unusual bruises strains and sprains the maximum crucial Hyper Nitro Core and effective vital oil is helichrysum. this critical oil has an brilliant synergy of houses for recovery of injuries observed via inflammation - the molecules in its make-up. http://musclegainfast.com/hyper-nitro-core/

    ReplyDelete
  8. What is commonplace with lower rep tiers. it is also possible that cardiovascular fatigue accompanying better rep weight training exercise Explosive Muscle sessions reasons many bodybuilders to accept as true with that they may be burning extra fat, and they then undertake those higher rep strategies. http://musclegainfast.com/explosive-muscle/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Must this be the case, then possibly group of workers schooling problems want to be addressed or, greater distressingly, extra capable X Alpha Muscle and succesful people need to be acquired.every other potential cause may additionally possibly be the reality the workload positioned upon them is just too widespread. http://purenitrateadvice.com/x-alpha-muscle/

    ReplyDelete
  10. They're no longer very famous in the present day day world. however, these strategies do assist in growing the duration as well as the girth of the Nitro MXS penis.jelqing is the technique of the usage of suction or gentle pressure. it is a fingers-on approach for increasing the blood stress in penis that is finished manually to inspire. http://purenitrateadvice.com/nitro-mxs/

    ReplyDelete
  11. To your goals of having a healthful lifestyles sytle go to internet site listed below.while it can appear as though the marketplace is actually X-Ripped suffering from distinctive methods to shed pounds very few of them offer an easy but certainly way to attain your weight reduction goals. a number of them can even be pretty dangerous. http://t-rexmuscleadvice.com/x-ripped/

    ReplyDelete
  12. General practitioner is also growing from fashions to the normal female, all and sundry is aware of her seems. every part of the frame can be Paravex Male Enhancement surgically corrected these days. for ones with small breasts they go to breast augmentation surgeons. a breast augmentation surgical treatment could contain a breast implant that could growth the scale of the breast. http://t-rexmuscleadvice.com/paravex-male-enhancement/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Schooling handiest sometimes will no longer contain any muscle improvement. supply the frame energy to deal with the pains of schooling and Muscle XTX recuperation. to keep away from over schooling, excessive common education have to be met with at the least an identical quantity of functional restoration.bodybuilders along with arnold schwarzenegger lee priest. http://purenitrateadvice.com/muscle-xtx/

    ReplyDelete
  14. The first-rate manner to remove this problem is thru herbal snoozing supplements. due to the fact these are herbal medicines, they do not have DermEssence any dangerous aspect effects at the fitness of someone. reviews say that wonderful consequences were acquired from the use of natural napping supplements.identical also called s-adenosyl-methionine. http://www.healthsupreviews.com/dermessence/

    ReplyDelete
  15. However that wouldn't be genuine for people who need to live a satisfied healthful life!it'd've been a high-quality deal if we may want to have My Megasize understood how to preserve our our bodies at a healthful country from the beginning. however unfortunately the unhealthier choice seem much higher than the healthy picks whilst it come to nutrition. http://t-rexmuscleadvice.com/my-megasize/

    ReplyDelete
  16. When you have enough self-esteem and self-reliance, you may have enough power to in no way falter. you'll have enough perception that you could Testo Max get past every difficulty.if you have constructed up your self, then it reflects on how you deal with relationships. individuals who dont think rather of themselves typically have bad relationships. http://purenitrateadvice.com/testo-max/

    ReplyDelete
  17. There are now many home golfing simulators for beneath $200 that you should buy. simply make certain you have got a few loose area to swing your IRON BULL EDGE clubs freely. those simulators can permit you to exercise often proper at domestic and can be powerful. of direction try and go to the range and the direction as a lot as you could too. http://www.strongtesterone.com/iron-bull-edge/

    ReplyDelete

Type me out a line of Shakespeare or a line of nonsense. Dumb-blonde-jokes & Irish jokes will make me laugh myself silly :)