...then last night a single sentence kept rolling around in my head, and I couldn't sleep until I wrote it down.
"We were in the cemetery counting scars when the black car pulled up."
...what I know so far:
1) male protagonist, not sure of the age yet, but in the 14-16 range
2) secondary character Kell (female) same age/grade
3) both are covered in scars/old injuries
4) they are cutting class to hang out in the cemetery, but I don't think they go to the same school
5) no idea who gets out of the black car, but whoever it is, is visiting a grave, and also spooks the main character and/or Kell in some way
...and that's it.
That's how each new story I write begins. A single sentence, and a visual glimpse of the opening scene.
No title yet, so for now it'll be known as Project #6
Now, off to another decompression treatment!
...it's been interesting finding out how much damage there is from old injuries... ribs out of alignment, scar tissue on my ribs, and torn connective tissue around my left collarbone (re-healed incorrectly) are the latest finds.